released.

12.02.2004

walking on thin ice?

Now, I hate to dwell on this, as I do believe that it is quite insignificant in the general outlook of my life... but I am really having a large issue with the lesbo scene. I live in Columbus, Ohio - the second largest (statistically) home to gay people in the US (second next to San Francisco - shocking I know.) So where are the young, professional, successful lesbians?

I am sick of seeing lesbos who are your dictionary stereotype. These are the overweight, short haired, macho, baseball cap women. I am also sick of the isolation of the 'gay' lifestyle.

During my sophomore year of college I realized that I should make some gay friends to find people who I could relate to. I joined a gay/lesbian swim team. It was fun, but again full of the stereotypes. It seems that to meet gay people you have to either join a "Human Rights" organization, become psycho political, or join a 'gay' group. Why do we have to isolate ourselves? We are people with other interests other than our damn sexuality.

Why do we choose to define our WHOLE being on this one small facet. I am sick of your typical reality show with the token gay boy who worries about what people will think and the whole episode builds up to the "I'm gay" speech. Get over it people.

Ok, I should stop before I become more livid and less coherent in my writing.
:: posted by SarahJ, 2.12.04

2 Comments:

I almost never join groups because of sexuality. So far it just seems that things I'm interested in are "gayer" than I thought. A gardening club in chicago was a landfill of gays...here in columbus..well, i really don't hang with the gays in columbus. except my bf...and he's busy. and i don't think my cats are gay....so i don't either. we'll survive. plus were hot.

xo,
matthew
Blogger WDL, at 6:04 PM  
Well said :)
Blogger SarahJ, at 7:33 AM  

Post a Comment