released.

6.25.2004

Parenthetically

Work is good - although this ‘blogging’ may become a bad habit. Something to keep an eye on during the 9-5 hours.

I would like to thank Tracie for bringing the Wal-Mart story to my attention. I would also like to congratulate her on reaching me before NPR did. Quite impressive!

I still do not quite understand this lack of equal rights (in this instance it is represented through a monetary value) when comparing men and women. I don't vow to be an intense feminist who achieves joy through a cacophony of statistics and chants, but I do believe in equal rights. As a woman I have never thought that I was lesser than my male counterparts. Yet, upon entering the architecture field I am becoming more aware of these ‘Good olde boy’s’ clubs and other such underground male business organizations.

But – I also have noticed this discrimination within the female community against other females. Eg. I was at a site last week doing some field verifications with a tape measure and a woman walked up to me and asked if I was making new drapery for them. Now, just because I have a tape measure and am wearing a skirt does not mean that I cover windows with dancing floral patterns. I find this sad.

Back to work.

Also for those unaware: Tracie's blog is - http://www.livejournal.com/users/tmz438/

Check it out - she's a smart political girl!
:: posted by SarahJ, 25.6.04

0 Comments:

Post a Comment